Monday, 22 February 2010

Females and Feminism

As a female, I opted to study gender within literature for my English course this year. I decided that it might be amusing to witness a group of feminists bash men for 12 weeks, with some raging texts written by Simone de Bouvoir. Instead, I was greeted with a class full of women (and one man), and some interesting aspects of gender that can be discussed relating to both their historical context, and to todays equal-standards society.
The classes have left me wondering where I actually fit in as a woman in todays society. Am I a "feminist", an "anti-feminist", or lurking somewhere in the middle?
For starters, I've never considered myself a feminist. I believe women should be allowed to hold the same jobs as men, I think they should be paid equally and I don't think that women should be judged based on the fact that they may one day reproduce and need time off.
I work in an industry which is a female-dominated world, but men are creeping in nowadays. Retail has always been considered a womans job, since it's not considered labour, and since men aren't interested in such frivolous things as blouses and lapels. Fashion, on the other hand, is a mans world. Men design and create beautiful pieces, for women to sell. A lot of men are in retail, but they are pre-judged as effeminate for taking such an interest in a female-oriented world.
I am a well-educated woman, and I am currently studying English Literature and Film and Visual Culture at University. A long time ago, it was unheard of for a woman to go to University. This, surely, would get in the way of her ultimate ambition to become a wife and mother. When these women went against the grain and attended University, their degrees weren't put to use. They were trophies to prove that they were educated women, but not to be used in reality. What did a woman need a degree for, anyway? Even with a degree, she still aims to be a wife and mother. Obviously, things have changed, and there are an abundance of young women studying alongside men in order to further their future careers. Alongside us are older men and women who perhaps didn't have the chance to study when they were young, and they have a new opportunity to prove themselves. I know that I, as a woman, have higher standards than becoming a secretary or an administrative assistant, and there might be men who disagree with me.
However, that said, I don't want to sacrifice becoming a wife or a mother. I'm educated, intelligent and I have an array of opportunities awaiting me when I graduate. I am also a woman. I have the chance to prove myself in so many ways; as a young woman in todays society, as a wife, as a mother, as an employee, etc. I don't want to give this up to prove that I'm as good as a man. Naturally, I wouldn't be the perfect choice for a job as a labourer, but that's because I'm not strong, nor does it interest me. Plenty of women are strong enough to take on "mens jobs", but I am not one of them. I don't believe a womans place is in an office, or a creche, or a home, but I can't argue that women are damn good at these jobs. So are men. There are always going to be roles that suit either gender more than the other, and that's okay. It's not sexist that there aren't many female sumo wrestlers, after all, is it?
I'm independent. I'm twenty-years-old and the world is at my fingertips, but a huge personal goal of mine is to get married to the man of my dreams. I'm not joking, it's just always been a goal of mine. I hate being judged as naive or ignorant to believe that this can be as much an ambition as becoming a writer or a poet, two other goals of mine.
My mother has had what I suppose is a typically female life. Her mother was even more so, as a home economics teacher. She taught young females how to be female; how to cook, clean and sew. I've had these classes myself. After my mother left school, she became a nanny, and then worked in a boarding school as a matron. After this, she became a wife, and then a mother. My mother has never been dependent, on the other hand, she's a strong, feisty woman who knows what she wants. She went back to work when I hit primary school age and hasn't looked back. As a teaching assistant and then a social worker, she was able to do something where she made a difference, regardless of whether she was a woman or a man.
My father has always been the strong, manly type. He works in the oil industry, and for the first ten years of my life, worked on the rigs. I know that women work in this industry, too, and have met many of them.
I never grew up thinking that I had a restriction automatically put on me since I am female. The only time I have ever been restricted by my gender was when my brother went away on his gap year. Before that, we'd had the same circle of friends, so hung out a lot and came home together. I never had a curfew when I was with my brother. As soon as he left, I gained a curfew. This was because it was "dangerous for young girls out late." I wasn't hanging around the docks or walking alone through darkened alleys. I was with friends (many of them male), and I would have a safe ride home. As soon as the older brother protection disappeared, so did my rights. All because I am female.
One other slight issue I've had due to my gender is that my brother was loaned money and given a computer by my parents. When I asked if I was getting anything in order to balance out what was fairly owed to me, I was told that since my parents would be paying for my wedding, they weren't going to give me a computer or money. I was gobsmacked. I never asked for them to pay for my wedding, they just assumed responsibility because I'm a girl.
I want to be able to be a wife, a career-woman and a mother. I may be naive to think its possible, but I know plenty of people who have managed it, and managed it well. I don't want my husband to assume I should be cooking each night, nor do I want to have to do all the housework. Equality only works when it's applied to all aspects of modern life, and that includes equal responsibility within the home. I know that I'm going to do the ironing, and the housework, but so is he. It's not going to be the "womans role", any more than it will become the "mans role". If I choose to have a job that is considered weak or subordinate to a male role, then so be it. It's a choice, not a limitation. My gender will not affect my outcome. At the end of the day, my outcome is up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment